Dak’Art 2014 Biennale: Officially Gets Underway
The Dak’Art 2014 Biennale will officially get under-way today with the official address and launch the Senegalese President Macky Sall. The President will also officiate the Dak’Art 2014 prizes giving ceremony that will take place at the Grand Theatre, Dakar.
The President will be accompanied by the top officer from the Culture and Heritage ministry that organizes the art festival every two years. The Ministry officials expected to grace the opening ceremony include Mr. Abdou Aziz Mbaye, Minister of Culture and Heritage, Ms. Thérèse Turpin Diatta, president of the orientation committee of Dak’Art and Mr. Abdelkader Damani, the curator representing the Dak’Art 2014 biennale jury.
The prizes will be given in the following categories:
- Great Prize “Léopold Sédar SENGHOR”: awarded by the President of Senegal;
- Prize of the Minister of Culture and Heritage;
- Prize of Francophonie International Organization;
- Prize of the city of Dakar offered by the mayor of Dakar;
- Prize of Blachère Foundation;
- Prize Oumar Ndao for the Biennale of Contemporary African Art of Dakar offered by Vives Voix;
- Prize of West African Economic and Monetary Union;
- Prize of Studio national des arts contemporains, Le Fresnoy, France;
- Prize of Centre Soleil d’Afrique, Bamako, Mali.
Laureates of the Léopold Sédar Senghor Prize since 1992
- 1992: Moustapha Dimé, Sénégal et Zerihun Yetmgeta, Ethiopia;
- 1996: Abdoulaye Konaté, Mali;
- 1998: Viyé Diba, Sénégal;
- 2000: Fatma Charfi, Tunisie;
- 2002: Ndary Lo, Sénégal;
- 2004: Michèle Magema, Congo RDC;
- 2006: Mounir Fatmi, Morocco;
- 2008: Ndary Lo, Sénégal et Mansour Ciss Kanakassy, Sénégal;
- 2010: Moridja KITENGE BANZA, Congo RDC;
- 2012: Younés Baba-Ali, Morocco.